The Light of the Soul: A Mystic’s Journal Entry May 12

Journal entries about clairvoyance, meditation, spirituality, and mystical experiences

Moderator: figaro

figaro

The Light of the Soul: A Mystic’s Journal Entry May 12

Post by figaro »

The Light of the Soul: A Mystic’s Journal Entry May 12, 2005

Thursday, May 12

We are still studying the writings of the Desert Fathers in meditation class (The Book of Mystical Chapters, John A. McGuckin, Shambhala,2003). During meditation I opened my eyes & saw each meditator surrounded by brilliant white Light. After meditation ended I said: “There is so much Divine Light in the room tonight”, something I would not ordinarily say. Usually I keep my clairvoyant perceptions to myself.

The first quote we studied was about the Holy Spirit. The second was written by Makarios the Great and began: When the soul becomes totally radiant/ and covered with the ineffable beauty/ of the glory of the light of Christ / ....

We had a discussion on the Light of the soul, that “When the soul becomes totally radiant” implies a becoming, something we must work to achieve. That radiance of the lower soul, the part of the soul closest to our perceptions of the world, is not automatic, a given. As a clairvoyant, this is obvious to me. Some people radiate much Light - others do not. And that radiance, in most people, comes and goes - it is not permanent. Depending on the thoughts and aspirations, the personal history & actions of beings, the soul shines more or less brightly in each of us.

However, the soul covered “with the ineffable beauty/of the glory of the light of Christ” is a different matter. This speaks of Grace, the Gift of the Divine Presence at times given to those who seek God - and this is what I have been seeing surrounding the meditators recently during meditation & in class. This Gift of the Light & Presence of the second Person of the Trinity, the light of Christ. So, in the saints, the holy ones - there is this combination of radiance from within, the radiance of the Holy Spirit within the soul, and this being covered with Divine Light from without. And this radiance from within must happen first, for the Light of Christ to then envelop us from without. Trudy said: it is a combination of striving and Grace.

This quote ends with one of the most beautiful images I have ever read: "when perfected, the soul becomes the inner “throne of God.”

We then had a discussion on the possibility that this poem was written, in part, so that spiritual seekers could inwardly image the radiance of the soul being surrounded by the Divine Light of Christ. This imaging is a valuable practice, & that if we could inwardly image the goal, we would get there faster. It is easier to get where you are going if you know where you are going. We could do this throughout the day, in short, mini meditations of even a few seconds. In this way we could teach ourselves to identify with the soul & remember the Presence of God within - instead of identifying with the personality and body, the thoughts & emotions that we have. And to remember this “covering” of the Light of Christ we would recollect the Divine Presence, instead of falling into the events of our day.

Then we spoke of Meister Eckhart’s “divine spark”, the mysterious presence of the Third Person of the Trinity within each of us. This is given to us all, it is a given. And through meditation & prayer we can contact this Divine spark. And that we should, through the results of deep prayer & meditation, eventually let this inner Divinity speak and act through us & for us.

C. then said that this Gift of the covering of the Light of Christ might also apply to spiritual teachers. That when I walked around the room while students were mediating, she felt that I was imparting something to them. She said that when she began meditating twenty years ago I had stood near her, and she had felt something very extraordinary - & that is one way we can know if we have the right teacher. I said that often when speaking in class a Power & a Wisdom came through me that was not mine. When I began teaching meditation I knew that for the sake of my students I was given something very special. And that it was given to me for my students, for their sake. Trudy asked if I could tell when that Divinity came through me & I said “yes”. I was surprised that she asked, because it is so very obvious to me. I also said that now I no longer walked around the room while students meditated, instead I tried to impart that Divinity inwardly - but that perhaps I should again stand near people as they meditated. C. said she thought that was a good idea, & so I will.

We then spoke about the Presence of the Trinity within us and I said: well we have read quotes on the Holy Spirit & on Christ, let’s see if we can find a quote on the Father. M. took the little book & randomly opened it - and the next quote was on the Father, a quote by Niketas Stethatos: God is Light, the spring of all blessed light./ God is wisdom, intelligence,/ and mystical knowledge./ Those who receive these gifts/ on account of their innocence /...

To me, those last two lines above reminded me of the very first quotes of the Desert Father we read many weeks ago. In those first poems it was said that through our purity and innocence and trust in God we would receive mystical gifts. I asked if anyone had been aware of the supernatural fragrances we have been experiencing in class. The answer was “no”. I mentioned that as I was walking down the street last week, inwardly I was told that the fragrances would now cease. And that I thought the supernatural fragrances of incense & roses & fruits etc. that we had been given in class were now being replaced by something else, something even more valuable: the Divine Light I was now seeing surrounding us and the Presence I was feeling during class. Trudy said that was a shame because she could not see the Divine Light. “Then we should have both, the Light & the fragrances”, I answered - & a few minutes later both Trudy & I smelled the strong fragrance of incense. M. said she was experiencing the fragrance of flowers ... During the rest of class, I was also twice aware of the very faint fragrance of myrrh, the Presence of Our Lady.

The next quote was on the Trinity, by Symeon the New Theologian: you have shown to us the light/ of your immaculate glory...

So many of the quotes we read again tonight were about the Divine Light, and I had again seen that Divine Light surrounding the meditators. When we read the quotes by the Desert Fathers that mentioned Divine Fragrances, the supernatural fragrances began. This is all quite wondrous.

Still, we should work more on the radiance on the soul, through our various efforts, than wanting or expecting Gifts. This “work” would include asking for graces, for even in the asking we are thinking about God and the soul. All communication with God and thought about the soul is good, and will bring us closer to God. Yes, it must be both our own efforts and the wish to receive Graces - or the Gifts we receive will be lost on us, like water off a duck’s back. And we must always remember that it is the Light of God in us that shines.